Search Sean's Brick Log

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Monster Fighters Series

The Monster Fighters series caught my attention randomly last year. I'm a fan of the classic film monsters such as the Wolfman, Frankenstein's Monster, and Dracula, and I saw all these sets around Halloween so... yeah, I bought most of them.

I enjoy the sets overall, but I must speak of the cars. Why were these things necessary? Surely larger buildings would have been a better use of resources than a bunch of gimmicky vehicles? What I'm getting at is, the cars are dumb and I'd just keep them packed away and never look at them again :P 

Werewolf


First is the Werewolf. This is the only set where the car is tolerable due to its small size. The tree itself gets the job done well enough, but has a catapult to throw the wolfman on top of the hunter like an ambush. I'd rather have more branches and leaves!










Zombies
 

Who doesn't love zombies these days? Actually, maybe it is getting just a little over the top...

Anyway, this is a nice set, but it has a ridiculous vehicle with spinning hammers on the back wheels. WTF?

The central shrine is nicely designed and the coffins that open up are a nice touch. I only wish there were a few more zombies and maybe a large base plate.


The Mad Scientist

I suppose they couldn't just use the name "Frankenstein", could they? In any case, the lab/dungeon is a cool set and even has some lighting to shine on the main table.




Of all things, the skull in the jar is what gives this set the most character for me :P



The good doctor looks crazy enough, about as stereotypical as you can get for the mad scientist schtick.









The Swamp Creature



This is the smallest Monster Fighters set. It has a neat little fan boat of sorts and a very small shrine for the magical stones that the evil vampire is collecting. It's a bit too simple, but meh.

Vampyre Castle



Now this is awesome! The castle has lots of cool tall spires and a few small touches that give it character and do not feel overly gimmicky. 



It's always nice to have a skeleton hanging in a dungeon. It always reminds me of the Lego version of Camelot from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.



The map room. There's a trapdoor in the floor which leads to the spikes in the picture below.
 The main chambers. There's a nice coffin and a cozy bed.

 The wall opens into these stairs. This is probably my favorite aspect of the castle.


 


Vampyre (yeah, original name) and his "weapon", equipped with the stones. I forgot to get a picture of it, but there is an organ on the other side of the tower.










 



Oh yeah, the car. Whatever... Another section of castle would have been much nicer.










There are several other sets, but these were the ones that most appealed to me. There is actually another larger set called the Haunted House. Maybe someday I will get it, but I'm content with what I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment