Search Sean's Brick Log

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Pirates of the Caribbean: Black Pearl and Isla de Muerta











This was a gift from last Christmas. Here we have a fairly nice, if simple, ship. The Black Pearl is honestly a bit underwhelming compared to other Lego pirate ships available, but it is still nice enough.



The colour of the ship is the main point for me, giving it an edgier appearance than the comparatively happy-looking ships seen earlier on this blog. But then, this is isn't an original set. It is a movie licensed-product...

The main drawbacks for me are the size and the minifigs. The Black Pearl seems like it should be longer. It also only has two cannons like Brickbeard's Bounty. What's up with that? As for the minifigs, I never cared for the Pirates films beyond the first one and I would thus much prefer the original film's crew... not the silly fish-men.












I do like the captain's chamber though. It certainly has easier access than the other ships I've seen due to the sides swinging open. 
By itself, the Black Peal is just okay. With a few other ships, it fits in rather nicely... Or at least provides some necessary variety. Will I get Queen Anne's Revenge? Probably not. I'd rather save a few dollars to get the Skull's Eye Schooner and the Imperial Flagship.
Bonus! I thought I'd mention this set here. I can't recall why I decided to get this set. There's not much to say about it really. I do like aspects of the set, and Barbossa is a cool character to have. Even that row boat can be given to the Pearl if you feel it needs one.
This set suffers from the same problem as the Moria set in LOTR. There really ought to be a little more to it. Maybe I'm just too particular with these smaller sets...

No comments:

Post a Comment